Saturday, December 20, 2008

Aspeaka you language

Last week's experiment was more of an observation. I work at a performing arts theater, and I get to interact with all sorts of... interesting people.

As the show neared the beginning, I heard the technical director of the facility getting everyone that was on the comm to check in and get ready for the performance. I noted an interesting phenomenon. Because the technical director spoke to everyone with such exactness and demanded a quick response, everyone on the comm struggled (but strived) to speak the TD's language.

As he would introduce lingo that was obviously new to these people working with him that night, I could hear them struggle to use the same language, even though maintaining that exact language was obviously (to me) not necessary to make the show run smooth. But it made me think: When I admire someone, when I'm trying to impress and make things run more smoothly, do I struggle and strive to speak their language?

So my soul-poking thought for the week is, "Is this something by which we can gauge our love and devotion to God's cause?" Do we try to speak his language?

No comments: